Panicking about what to do with the kids this summer? You are SO not alone.
But one thing I know for certain in the vast and often deserted landscape of parenthood: Kids love movies. And better yet, kids of all ages love movies — older kids, turns out, even find the “way beneath them” movies to still be enjoyable. Because nostalgia. (Seems crazy to me that someone born in 2008 can feel nostalgic, but who am I to judge? OK fine, I’m totally judging.)
Enter the annual tradition of local movie theaters hosting older movies for super-duper cheap in the summer months. This year, we have four theaters to choose from — Cinemark Summit Sierra, Cinemark Riverside, Galaxy Victorian Sparks and Galaxy Fandango Carson City. And, among the four, they’re giving you an inexpensive activity for the kids every day of the week except Friday (that’ll be a day for chores) and Sunday (worship, sleep, meal prep, bonding with the family? Don’t laugh, it’s possible).
I’ve done the math. If your kids go to all of the movies offered, the total bill: $114 per person! That’s right, here’s an activity for every day of the week during summer, except Fridays and Sundays, for almost one-third the cost of a full week of a summer camp anywhere else!
So I’m totally joking, because they’d have to see the same movies over and over again. But still.
(Realistically you could see three different movies almost every week for an average of about $1.67/movie, which still seems pretty awesome.)
Let’s talk about the experiences:
|Cinemark Summer Movie Clubhouse||Galaxy Kids Summerfest|
|Tickets can only be purchased at the door.||Get tickets online at Galaxytheatres.com or through their mobile app.|
|The location of both is pretty good for kids – lots to do in the surrounding vicinity including shopping and food. However, this means they’ll be asking for extra money. Additionally, keep in mind your kids will be very near the Truckee River at Riverside (hence the name “Riverside”).||Galaxy Victorian is the newest theater in town. Not sure at this point whether the fountains are still an option (would be so awesome if they brought those back!); Galaxy Fandango is located adjacent to a casino in Carson City.
|$1 admission/movie, unless you buy a 10-movie punch-card for $5, meaning you pay 50 cents per admission.||$2 admission/movie.|
|Full-price concessions (though they do offer a $2 off large popcorn or fountain drink discount)||$3 value pack concession combo – which management says is usually popcorn, candy and a beverage.|
Here are the movies at both Cinemark theaters for their Summer Movie Clubhouse; showtimes are 10 a.m. Monday and Tuesday at the Riverside, or 9 a.m. Wednesdays and Thursdays at the Summit:
- Week of June 10: Peter Rabbit (PG)
- Week of June 17: Dr. Seuss’ The Grinch (PG)
- Week of June 24: How To Train Your Dragon (PG)
- Week of July 1: Smallfoot (PG)
- Week of July 8: Kung Fu Panda (PG)
- Week of July 15: The Lego Movie (PG)
- Week of July 22: Spongebob Squarepants Out of Water (PG)
- Week of July 29: Sherlock Gnomes (PG)
- Week of August 5: Hotel Transylvania 3 (PG)
- Week of August 12: Despicable Me 3 (PG)
And PS, if you’re going to the Summit, don’t forget your coupon for $2 off a large popcorn or fountain drink.
- June 1 & 3: Hop (PG)
- June 8 & 10: An American Tail (G)
- June 15 & 17: Despicable Me 3D (PG)
- June 22 & 24: The Land Before Time (G)
- June 29 & July 1: Curious George (G)
- July 6 & 8: Dr. Seuss’ The Lorax (PG)
- July 13 & 15: Minions 3D (PG)
- July 20 & 22: Sing 3D (PG)
- July 27 & 29: The Grinch 3D (PG)
- August 3 & 5: Despicable Me 2 3D (PG)
- August 10 & 12: Despicable Me 3 (PG)
- August 17 & 19: The Secret Life of Pets (PG)
- August 24 & 26: An American Tail 2: Fievel Goes West (G)
Will we see you there, three times a week, all summer long? It’s quite possible!
Let me know in the comments if you hear of other frugal summer activities to pass the time this summer. Other than popsicles and bug murdering, that is. I’ve got that one covered.