Christmas is sneaking up on us, and it’s likely that the man in your life has procrastinated his shopping for you until the last minute. But if you’re anything like me, there’s probably a lot of things you would love for Christmas, but writing a list takes too much time and effort, and sometimes you’d just like to be surprised, right? That’s where the ladies of Reno Moms Blog have come to the rescue! I surveyed the ladies on what moms want for Christmas from LOCAL stores, as we’re all about supporting local businesses. Here is what the ladies came up with. Feel free to share this link with that hunk of yours to give him some inspiration, and considering everything is in town, he can even pick this stuff up at the last minute! There are also a lot of great ideas for your own mom or a special friend!
Classes: Moms love to get out and away from the kids to learn new hobbies or revisit ones put on the back burner when they became a parent. Offer to watch the kiddos while she attends one of these classes.
- Nothing To It Gift Cards – These could be used towards a cooking class or in their shop, which is a chef’s dream
- Paint and Sips – There are so many options all over town. Feeling really generous? Buy a gift card for two classes so that she can take a girlfriend with her. We suggest Pinot’s Palette in Northwest Reno, Arts for All in Downtown Reno, or Picasso & Wine in Midtown or at the Summit Mall, the Playful Potter.
- Class packs to Pilates Studio of Reno, The Studio, Rishi Yoga, Midtown Community Yoga, Ball Fitness or Kaia Fit
- Cake or cookie decorating class at Biggest Little Cake Shoppe or at Mix Cupcakes
- (from drawing to pottery and painting)
- Gordon’s Photo Service Photography 101 class
- Wedge Cheese Shop’s wine and cheese pairings class
Jewelry: Really, guys, you can’t go wrong with something shiny and sentimental as a gift.
- BVW Jewelers, located in South Creek Shopping Center has really unique pieces created by local jeweler, Britten Wolf. There are bobbles for all different budgets. If you want to give your man a bit more guidance, they have great “Hint” cards, where you can come into the store and write down a few suggestions of what you’d like for a gift
- Custom Jewelry by Memory Lane Jewelry, a local jewelry maker on Etsy. Every mom would love hand stamped jewelry with the initials or birth stones of her kids
- You can also pick up some inexpensive hand made jewelry at the Buy Nevada First store in the Reno Town Mall, all made by locals!
Eats or Drinks:
- Meal service from the BFF Café, serving healthy clean-eating meals to go! You can order packs of food for an entire week at a time!
- A combination of flavor infused olive oil and balsamic vinegar from Big Horn Olive Oil Company. The staff there can give you suggestions of great pairings, and you can taste samples to find your favorite.
- A night out at one of Mark Estee’s restaurants, including Campo, Heritage or Reno Provisions
- Chocolates from Dorinda’s Chocolates
- Wine from Whispering Vine or Vino 100
- If you really want to spoil a mom, give her a gift certificate to the Atlantis Spa and watch her kids for her for the day. One spa treatment gets you access to the spa all day, and that place is heaven on earth!!!
- A manicure or pedicure from Soak Nail Spa & Lounge
- Locally made shampoos, conditioners, lotions, body wash and lip balms at the Buy Nevada First store. You can get these items for a fraction of what you’d spend at a franchise, and the quality is top notch!
- Maid service from Krystal Clean Housecleaning
- The Couture Closet has personal stylists that can help you pick out a fabulous outfit for that special mom in your life. Bring in her clothing size and a picture of her so that the ladies have something to work with!
- Sweet Pickin’s Boutique, featuring shabby chic decor, furniture and clothing. “That store makes me swoon,” said one of our contributors.
- The Niche Boutique, with clothing and home décor and locations in Reno, Truckee, Sparks and Carson City
- Lulu Lemon for yoga apparel in Downtown Reno
- Nevada Art Museum gift shop – always something pretty, unique and often local
- Great Western Marketplace, which features all local services, arts, crafts and food. You’re bound to find something great here!
Special thanks to the Reno Moms Blog contributors and Debbie Sessions for helping compile this list!