This year the Washoe County CASA Foundation and Barnes & Noble are combining two of my favorite things: reading and Halloween! CASA’s inaugural Book-tober Fair is happening now through Nov. 1 at Barnes & Noble in Reno, Nev. to raise funds for foster care children in Washoe County.
Book-tober is a celebration of reading and Halloween fun at Barnes & Noble for all your little ghosts and goblins. Check into Barnes & Noble for one of their family-friendly events including storytime, a variety of arts & crafts and Halloween costume parades and contests and special edition collectable buttons!
Book-tober is a way for you and your kids to help the Washoe CASA Foundation underwrite expenses for the benefit of the many foster care children in Washoe County. Today, there are more than 900 children in foster care in Washoe County and approximately 100 CASA volunteers. CASA volunteers are Court Appointed Special Advocates and serve as a vital link between foster children, the Washoe County foster system and the Second Judicial District Court’s CASA Program. In many ways, CASA volunteers serve as the voice of the foster child. The Halloween celebrations are a great way for your little ones to help those hundreds of kids in the county while they have fun (and don’t make a mess at your house…)
Barnes & Noble will contribute a percentage of sales to the Washoe CASA Foundation throughout Book-tober. Valid sale items include include books, merchandise, Starbucks coffee, cheesecake from The Cheesecake Factory and other food items from the Barnes & Noble Cafe. So, while the kids are creating a Halloween craft you can be sipping a pumpkin-spice latte treat of your own. All shoppers need to do is mention CASA at checkout to help raise money for the Foundation.
“We’re are honored to partner with Washoe CASA, and their volunteers, in the raising of funds and spotlighting community awareness for the foster children of the community,” said Suzanne Stock, Community Business Development Manager at Barnes & Noble Reno.
Check out this schedule of fun Halloween actives happening through next Wednesday:
- Stop by the Washoe CASA Foundation table for a monster or Halloween glitter tattoo, located at the front of the store.
- The haunted house mural needs your help. Located in the Kid’s Department. Come add your creative flair with markers or crayons.
- Stop by the CASA table and pick up a spider or skull to decorate and name, then hang it on the trees next to the haunted house in the Kid’s Department.
Wednesday, October 25:
- All day – Collect the limited edition button, the Bat, while supplies last.
- 11 a.m.-noon – Storytime followed by a fall-themed craft activity. Located in the Kid’s Department.
- 6:30-7:30 p.m. – Make a Halloween Character Bookmark.
Friday, October 27:
- All day – Collect the the limited edition Halloween button, while supplies last.
- 11:00 a.m.-4 p.m. – Celebrate Nevada Day. Join us every hour for craft activities celebrating our statehood and the fall season. A Scavenger Hunt around the store begins at 3 p.m.
- Collect the limited edition button, the Witch, while supplies last.
- 11:00 a.m.-3:30 p.m. – Face painting.
- 11:00 a.m.-noon – It’s the traditional Barnes & Noble Saturday morning storytime followed by a fall-themed craft activity. Located in the Kid’s Department.
- 1:00-2:00 p.m. – Local author, Virginia Castleman hosts a “Build a Scary Story” writing workshop for elementary school aged children.
- 3:00-5:00 p.m. – Local author, Virginia Castleman hosts a “Build a Scary Story” writing workshop for middle and high school youth.
- 11:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m. — Join us every hour for craft activities: color the haunted house, decorate a spider to hang on the haunted trees, decorate a bookmark or picture frame and more.
Sunday, October 29:
- 11:00 a.m.-3:45 p.m. – Join us for a craft you might have missed or for a new one! There will be lots to choose from.
Also, join the Kiwanis Club and make a ghost lollipop.
- 4:00-4:30 p.m. – Wear your Halloween costume and participate in the Scavenger Hunt around the store.
- 4:30-5:30 p.m. – Halloween Costume Parade and Contest. Open to all kids and youth up to age 18.
Tuesday, October 31:
- 5:30-7:00 p.m. – Scavenger Hunt followed by a Halloween Costume Parade and Contest. Open to all kids and youth up to age 18.
Wednesday, November 1:
- 11:00 a.m.-noon – Storytime followed by a fall-themed activity. Located in the Kid’s Department.
All events are free to participate and are located at Barnes & Noble at 5555 S. Virginia Street in Reno. People can also support the Washoe CASA Foundation by shopping online at www.bn.com/bookfairs from October 18-November 6, 2017 and include the Book-tober Fair voucher ID #12200952 on the payment page during checkout.
Please note that the schedules are subject to change and activities are first come, first served, as quantities are limited. You can find Washoe CASA on Facebook for up-to-date information on the Book-tober Fair.