In March I posted about some of the many classes, resources, and co ops for homeschoolers here in Reno, Nevada. Homeschooling is on the rise, and our community is adjusting accordingly with many local businesses offering day-time classes specifically for homeschoolers. There’s no reason to feel lonely or like you’re missing something if you’re a homeschooler. In fact, I actually think my kids get to experience a larger variety of activities as homeschoolers!
My original post HERE contains info about the following:
*Legal resources (what to do to get started)
*Facebook groups to join
*A list of several different co ops, each offering a variety of classes
*Urban Roots (farm school classes)
*Galena Creek Park Science Classes
*Speech & Debate teams
*Classical Conversations groups
Since then, so many more groups and classes have started, especially in the performing arts arena! Here are some of the new classes available in Reno for homeschoolers:
1. Gymnastics. Flips Gymnastics now offers Friday morning classes for homeschoolers at 11:30AM. Open to both boys and girls of various levels, these one hour classes are just $44/month for once a week classes!
3. Ballroom Dancing. Through the Motion started offering homeschool ballroom dancing classes on Friday early afternoons. Their first session offered began in October. Be sure to inquire with them to find details about future sessions. 8 week sessions start at $61.
4. Acting/Theater. The Reno Little Theater is preparing to kick off it’s first homeschool class this coming February! Classes will be offered on Mondays at 11:30 AM, and the cost is $50 per 6 week session. Classes are for children in K-6th grades. See the event page HERE for more info.
5. Skiing. Thursdays at 10:00-12:00 in January/February for 5 weeks are skiing lessons at Mt. Rose for homeschoolers! The discounted cost for homeschoolers in these lessons is $175. Visit the Facebook group HERE for more details.
7. Tap/Jazz/Ballet Combo for littles. Fascinating Rhythm also has a combo class for 3-5 year olds on Tuesdays/Thursdays at 10:30 AM.
8. Aerial Skills/Parkour. Be sure to follow Fascinating Rhythm’s page for info about Aerial Skills and Parkour classes beginning in January.
9. Field Trips. There are SO MANY field trips happening each week, thanks to the many homeschool moms who set up fun trips for their own kids and invite others along. Join the Northern Nevada Homeschool group on Facebook to find field trips galore!
Know of any other great classes or groups for homeschoolers to join? Please leave some info in the comments section below!