It doesn’t feel like it right now, as I am writing this the wind has picked up and the thunder and lightning is making for a loud, stormy afternoon, but the un-official start of summer is this weekend. Memorial Day, time for me to take out my white, cropped jeans and see how fast I can spill something on them!
We’ll be celebrating the long holiday weekend by going to one of the easiest picnics, BBQs or Dinner Parties ever at the opening of the Reno Street Food 2015 – Kickoff Event as the Food Trucks return to Idlewild Park on Friday evenings this summer. See, at Food Truck Fridays you only have to remember one thing, the blanket and, if you want to be fancy, maybe some lawn chairs and possibly some wipes, but let’s face it, when is the last time you left the house without wipes!
Reno Street Food folks provide tons of food options, seriously check out the list of more than 25 food trucks, a large playground and face painting for the kids, live music for Moms, Dads, Grandmas, Grandpas, Uncles, an Aunt or two and your friends and even a few cocktails. The evenings start at 5 pm and end at 9 pm.
Head over to Idylwild this Friday (or maybe one of the next Fridays, the event is scheduled to run every Friday evening until Oct. 2) and enjoy the some time outside with your family and friends.
When the evening is done, all you’ll need to do is throw away the plates, fold up the blankets, grab those wipes for the sticky hands and maybe find the sandal that your little one lost an hour ago. Or maybe you’ll just look for it next Friday when you come back to enjoy another Friday Summer evening on the lawn.
Reno Street Food 2015 Kickoff Event – Friday May, 22
(Information Courtesy of Reno Street Food)
Scheduled Food Trucks:
- Still Rollin Food Truck (Eggrolls with a twist)
- Shanghai Express Truck (Chinese food)
- Kenji’s (Fushion Hawaiian BBQ and Hawaiian-style plates)
- Sublime Food Truck (Gourmet subs and sandwiches)
- All Wrapped Up (wraps and salads)
- Battle Born Truck (tri-tip, sandwiches and salad)
- Burger Me Truck (Ahi, Bison, Lamb and gourmet burgers…try the Truck Burger!)
- BoDawgs (1/4 pound charbroiled beef and polish dogs)
- Brothers BBQ (Texas style BBQ shredded pork and stuffed baked potatoes)
- St. Lawrence Pizza Company (720 degree wood-fired brick oven pizza)
- Carolina Kitchen & BBQ (North Carolina BBQ food)
- Pho Real
- Electric Blue Elephant (Gourmet vegetarian and vegan treats, homemade gluten-free bread)
- Bangkok Cuisine (chicken satay, shrimp rangoons, pad thai)
- Muha’s Indian Tacos (handmade traditional Indian tacos)
- Grill Sergeants Tasty Tri Tip (tri-tip sandwiches)
- Little Peruvian (Original house made Peruvian dishes)
- Rub Shack
Save room for these Desserts:
- Sweet Creams Cheesecakery (gourmet flavors of handmade cheesecakes)
- Lazy Sundae (Ice cream sundaes, ice cream sandwiches)
- Frozen Fantasies (Frozen fruit desserts)
- IceCycle Creamery (handmade unique gourmet ice cream and sorbet)
- Waffle Wagon (Gourmet Belgian dessert waffles)
Beverages (for the kids and for the adults!):
- The Main Squeeze (fresh squeezed lemonade and other flavors)
- Ceol Irish Pub (Thirst Relief Unit, TRU, is a rolling beer cooler with six taps capable of transporting up to 20 kegs. Beers this week: Guinness Irish Stout, Harp Irish Lager, Smithwicks Irish Ale, Magner’s Irish Cider, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and Sierra Nevada Kellerweis)
- Beer NV (Beers: Sierra Nevada Nooner, Stiegl Raddler, North Coast Blue Star Wheat, Pigeon Head Red Lager, Ballast Point Big Eye IPA, Deschutes Black Butte Porter. Cocktails: Kentucky Daiquiri, Spring Fling. Wine: Red and White options available)
Friday’s Musical guest: Jason King Band
Face Painting: Ivy the Artist