I’m going to say something that I know many of you disagree with, but it’s my opinion and it’s just how I feel. I’m sorry, I’m not sorry. I’m anti-car seat. It enrages me that I’m forced to put my children in a useless contraption day in and day out. I know there are countless statistics out there that might “prove” their effectiveness, but I just don’t buy it. Call me a skeptic, but I’ve read many articles where children have been in car accidents in their car seats and have been severely injured or died. They aren’t 100% effective. I have a very clean driving record and a baby on board sticker displayed in my rear window, and I believe those things can work in conjunction to mitigate the risk of foregoing car seats. The good just doesn’t weigh out the bad and the dirty for me on this issue. What are the bad and the dirty one might ask? Let me break it down for you.
- Car seats are expensive and they have an expiration date. Talk about a bad investment. I pride myself in being fiscally savvy and buying a car seat just doesn’t make fiscal sense to me.
- Have you ever cleaned up barf or a blow out from a car seat? It’s disgusting, especially when it gets in the straps and buckles. It would be so much easier to just clean my seat.
- I’m a busy person and I believe in streamlining processes. I could save about one minute if I didn’t have to strap my kids their 5 point harness.
- Noise reduction. My kids hate their car seats. I could eliminate one area of bitching and moaning from my life. It’s a win-win.
- Car seats aren’t 100% effective. Injury and death occurs all the time still.
- People didn’t have car seats 50 years ago and they managed to get along fine.
- Lastly, and most importantly it’s my decision. Sure, I might get a ticket or in trouble for child endangerment, but this is just how I feel.
Disagree? YOU WORRY ABOUT YOUR FAMILY AND I WILL WORRY ABOUT MINE.
***Disclosure: For the sake of not receiving hate mail and having my housed egged, I do hope you can all read between the lines and see the irony of this post. It is absolutely intended to be satirical.
Editor’s Note: Did your blood start to boil before you realized the post was a work of satire? I’m sure most of you Moms have mused in your head how much you hate car seats even though we all truly understand the necessity of them.